Grinders, also referred to as weed or herb grinders, are devices that enable users to break up their cannabis buds into fine pieces that are easy to use in joints/blunts, bowls and pipes. Weed grinders are normally made of aluminum, plastic or stainless steel and are either operated by manual hand turning or by electric battery power.
The effectiveness to which they function is due to the presence of a three or four-part compartment design, two opposing pieces with sharp teeth and a screen or sifter placed in between them. These multiple compartments include a lower kief catcher which saves the trichomes (kief) resulting from the grinding or breaking up cannabis buds.
Related Article: Can I Use A Coffee Grinder To Grind Weed? | Pros and Cons
What are the Pros and Cons of Using a Grinder For Herb
There are various advantages and disadvantages of weed grinders. Some of the major benefits associated with weed grinders include:
- Grinders enable users to easily break up cannabis stems and buds into even, fine pieces that enable for enhanced weed user experience.
- The presence of a kief catcher enables the storage of the highest quality trichomes (kief), these can be easily collected and used later for concentrated marijuana highs.
- Grinders are easy to use and clean, this is because they come with a sifter that enables the pieces of cannabis buds to fall through it as they're ground.
- Some weed grinders offer multiple compartments that separate the different by-products of grinding cannabis buds
- The best quality weed grinders ensure even grinding with accurately made mechanisms or the addition of frictionless collar rings which also promote long-lasting durability.
On the other hand, however; there are also disadvantages associated with weed grinders. Some of the major disadvantages include:
- A good number of low-grade cheap weed grinders are made from low-quality materials, with a tendency to get stuck or tarnish easily, leading to poor performance and a non-optimal grinding experience.
- Some weed grinders tend to jam on frequent use, this makes it difficult for users to properly break up their cannabis buds into finer pieces that can be used in bowls and pipes.
- The presence of the kief catcher in some weed grinders makes it difficult for users to properly tap out their cannabis buds, and usually require a small spatula or spoon to clean out material
A weed grinder can be powered manually or electrically:
Manual Grinders: A manual weed grinder does not require power of any kind for it to work. It is activated by the user's hand pressure on the weed grinder.
Electric Grinders: An electric weed grinder requires little to no effort on the user's part to operate. Types include those that use disposable batteries or newer USB rechargeable batteries
Grinders for sale under $50
Below is a list of weed grinders that cost about $50 or less:
Our very own electric Mamba Herb Grinder kicks off this list (and why not!). Powered by a USB rechargeable Li-ion battery, the V2-50 rapidly dispenses 15X faster than hand grinding. No matter how oily or sticky, its razor-sharp teeth powers its way through buds. Hold up to 1g of your favorite herb product in anodized aluminum heads locked together by a strong magnet. Complete in a sleek body with stylish colors, and portable one-handed use.
The Tectonic9 weed manual hand grinder is among the best weed grinders in terms of size. It has a diameter of 2 inches that can hold up to 2 grams of weed at any given time. A single press of a button activates a powerful vibrational electric motor that evenly dispenses your herbs through the spout.
These weed grinders are very high-quality manual hand-cranked weed grinders. They include a four-piece weed grinder that is made of metal and includes a weed sharpshooter that catches weed stems, two removable lids for storing weed buds or weed spices, and a tray that collects pollen. It has sharp weed shredding teeth that produce weed grinding simply by twisting the weed grinder back and forth.
is a basic and pen-shaped battery-powered herb grinder and portable storage vault that makes ground herbs accessible at the push of a button. Store up to 3 grams of your favorite ground herbs ready to dispense. Never experience sticky fingers or a spilt grinder again with its secure and efficient design.
Another pen-shaped battery grinder is the Easy Grinder Electric Spice Herb Grinder. With the touch of a button, Easy Grinder’s grinding chamber works to provide a customizable level of grinding power all the time. With ceramic coated non-stick blades device, clogging is lessened even with the stickiest of herbs.
Even though this is an under $50 list, let's take a look at the Santa Cruz Shredder at $80. With medical-grade, ultrasonically cleansed anodized aluminum, a unique threading pattern, friction ring, “inverted square” tooth design, and textured grip to make it easy to use for medical consumers who have a hard time gripping small objects, and capped off with a rare-earth magnet in the lid, it certainly is a top-grade item.
Not forgetting budget-seekers, there is the manual iRainy Spice Herb Grinder with Pollen Catcher coming in at a cent under $9. Made of zinc, which is a standard, safe metal for grinders and includes a kief/pollen catcher chamber with a small spoon for no wastage.
Which of These Grinders Is The Best Bang For The Buck?
In its most basic function, a good weed grinder ensures marijuana buds are evenly ground and better enhance the quality of the user's weed or cannabis. With so many grinders on the market, this article's criteria was for users that require grinders coming under $50, with modern features, positive reviews and a recognized brand.
With that in mind, the Electric Mamba Grinder with USB rechargeable battery, aluminum heads and a cool-stylish design fulfils all those considerations.
If you enjoyed this article check this article on 10 Creative Ways To Grind Weed Without a Grinder